Plagiarism FAQ and How a Plagiarism Detector Can Help Avoid Plagiarism
Plagiarism is a major concern for students or anybody else who writes for work or publication. A plagiarism scanner is useful to help you avoid inadvertently copying someone else’s work. To help you better understand plagiarism and how it can affect you, we have answered some commonly asked questions regarding plagiarized content.
Q: What can happen if you plagiarize?
There can be some serious consequences when caught plagiarizing another person’s work. The penalties for a student who plagiarizes will vary depending on the severity and may include:
- Being required to rewrite the paper
- Receiving a failing grade on the paper
- Being failed in the class
- Suspension from school
- Expulsion from school
- Having a student’s degree revoked
In the professional world plagiarism can result in the loss of your job as well as damage to your professional reputation. You may also be subject to legal action resulting in financial penalties.
Q: What are the various forms of plagiarism?
There are four main types of plagiarism that students and writers need to be concerned with.
- Direct plagiarism. This involves copying an entire paper/document written by somebody else and claiming it as your own work.
- Mosaic plagiarism. Taking phrases and sentences from different sources without using quotation marks or citing the source. This includes paraphrasing sources without giving credit.
- Self-plagiarism. Reusing papers or parts of papers you have previously submitted
- Accidental plagiarism. Forgetting to cite a source, inadvertently using similar language used in a source or misquoting a source.
Q: Is plagiarism illegal? What are some examples of someone famous being accused of plagiarizing?
Plagiarism is illegal. It is a violation of copyright laws. Some well known people accused of plagiarism include:
- Author Alex Haley, best known for his book Roots, was accused of plagiarism and eventually admitted to it. He settled for $650,000.
- Kaavya Viswanathan was accused of plagiarizing from another author. Her book, How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life, was recalled and a contract for a second book was cancelled.
- Newly elected president Joe Biden failed a class in law school for plagiarizing a paper.
Q: Why do students plagiarize? Is it accidental or deliberate?
- To get a better grade/ afraid to fail
- Lack of time
- Not understanding what constitutes plagiarism
In some cases students deliberately plagiarize but in many cases students commit plagiarism inadvertently without realizing it.
Q: Can I identify plagiarized content online?
A: You can identify plagiarized content online using a free online plagiarism checker like the one we offer to check your paper for similarity with other documents. Anti plagiarism software is the best way of how to check originality of paper text and can compare your paper against documents others have written to determine if you have committed plagiarism.
About Our Plagiarism Tester
Our plagiarism scanner is an excellent tool to perform a text similarity comparison free online. It doesn’t just compare two pieces of text for similarity; after entering the text you want checked into our plagiarism detector it evaluates your paper against billions of web pages as well comparing it to millions of academic papers stored in databases, seeking out similarities between your paper and other documents. After analyzing your text the self-plagiarism checker provides you with a report that informs you whether or not any plagiarism was found in your document. Our duplicate text finder identifies problem areas so you can remove duplicate words in paragraph and sentences or rewrite the text if need be. It can even provide you with reference information about the specific source that caused the issue and give you a score for the originality of your text.
There are plenty of features in our text similarity checker that you can take advantage of. Some of these include:
- Comparison to multiple documents. Your paper is checked against billions of web pages and documents when you use our copy and paste finder.
- Full reports. Detailed reports identifying plagiarism and other problems are provided along with suggestions on how to correct these problems.
- Security. Your paper/document is never made available online or provided to other databases when you use our copy paste checker to look for duplicate content.
- Grammar checker. Our tool also checks for many different types of grammar mistakes including errors in punctuation, run-on sentences, sentence fragments, verb tense problems and many others. It even examines whether you are using active or passive voice in your paper.
- Tone checker. Our tool analyzes the tone of your text and suggests adjustments so you can set just the right tone you are looking for.
The many features our same text checker offers are reason enough to use it to check for plagiarism and other problems. However, there are other benefits that will motivate you to give it a try. To start with you can use our paper originality checker free to analyze you text. Students on a budget will definitely find that useful. Our text checker is also fast and can save you time. It could take you hours to verify all your sources and compare text similarity to your paper.
Our tool can usually analyze your document and provide a report in one minute or less depending on the length of the document. In addition the plagerism detector works with any type of paper including essays, research papers, dissertations, articles, blog posts or any other type of writing that you need to check for text similarity. Finally our plagiarism tool is easy to use and doesn’t require any special skills or training for you to analyze your paper with it. Its features and benefits make it an easy choice to use at the next opportunity.